READ THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE
- Endorsement: Iowa State Treasurer Roby Smith, a Republican, has endorsed businessman and Ohio biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy for the U.S. presidency. This endorsement was announced by Ramaswamy's campaign.
- Election Performance: Smith defeated incumbent Michael Fitzgerald in the 2022 midterm elections. Ramaswamy has been gaining traction and is currently ahead of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis . A new Iowa Poll indicates that Ramaswamy is the first choice for 4% of likely Republican caucusgoers, placing him in seventh place. Former President Donald Trump leads with 42%. Another poll from Emerson College conducted between August 16 and 17 showed that both Ramaswamy and DeSantis had the support of 10% of Republicans surveyed, with Trump leading at 56%.
- Significance of the Endorsement: Smith's endorsement is notable as he is the first politician elected statewide in Iowa to endorse Ramaswamy's campaign. Additionally, Iowa Senator Scott Webster, R-Bettendorf, has also endorsed Ramaswamy.
- Reason for Endorsement: Smith mentioned that Ramaswamy earned his endorsement partly due to his opposition to environmental, social, and corporate governance. Smith emphasized the importance of economic prosperity and believed that Ramaswamy was the right candidate to boost the American economy and rejuvenate American excellence.
- Ramaswamy's Views: At the Iowa State Fair on August 12, Ramaswamy expressed that while he believes climate change might be human-induced and could be warming the planet, he feels that much of the climate change agenda is a "hoax." He emphasized a more aggressive energy stance, stating, "We will drill more, we will frack more, we will burn more coal, we will use ethanol, we will use nuclear energy without apologizing for who we are as Americans."
- Upcoming Debate: Ramaswamy and other GOP candidates are set to participate in the first GOP primary debate in Milwaukee.
- Other Comments: U.S. Rep. Zach Nunn, a Republican, while not endorsing any candidate, praised Ramaswamy for his positive energy on the campaign trail and his comprehensive understanding of various issues, including policy, foreign governance, and technology.
This summary provides an overview of the article's content.