READ THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Here's a summary of the article from POLITICO regarding Vivek Ramaswamy 's performance in the GOP debate:
- Title: "‘It just got to be annoying': Ramaswamy suddenly becomes a force"
- Authors: Natalie Allison and Adam Wren
- Date: August 24, 2023
- Ramaswamy's Debate Performance: Vivek Ramaswamy was animated and drew significant attention during the debate. He received roaring applause for praising Donald Trump but was also booed for discrediting climate change policies. His opponents often mispronounced his name, and Chris Christie even compared him to ChatGPT.
- Rising Popularity: Following the debate, there were over 1 million Google searches for "Vivek Ramaswamy " within 24 hours. He has now become a significant contender in the race, inching closer in national polling averages to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis .
- Debate Highlights: Ramaswamy made several notable moments during the debate:
- He mimicked DeSantis by sticking out his tongue and licking his finger.
- He tried to pressure former Vice President Mike Pence into committing to pardon Trump.
- He had a heated exchange with Pence over the president's role and the national debt.
- Pence's View on Ramaswamy: Pence's team sees Ramaswamy as an ideological outsider who appeals to a new online populism. They believe he has a narrow view of the electorate.
- Critics' Views: Critics from the broader political consultant class were not kind to Ramaswamy. Some comments included him being the "worst guy in your freshman year philosophy class" and Nikki Haley's remark that he would "make America less safe."
- Ramaswamy's Strategy: Ramaswamy seems to be trying to fill the void left by Trump in the GOP. His style and approach during the debate were reminiscent of Trump's tactics in 2016, where he made controversial remarks and ensured he was the center of attention.
- Reactions from GOP Consultants: Some GOP consultants believe that Ramaswamy might benefit from the attention he garnered during the debate, at least in the short term. However, they also question how he can secure the nomination by being confrontational with everyone.